http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8inJtTG_DuU I often get asked why I post about relationships on this blog; it's because relationships are a huge part of an individual's success. People can hold each other back and people can propel each other forward. If I can provide my input to help others achieve the latter, then I believe this post fits right in.
Take what you will from the following list, but my entire relationship history has taught me to look out for the following 5 components.
1. Vulnerability. You need to be 100% yourself and honest around each other, be vulnerable enough to bare each other's soul and share each other's spirit. Being vulnerable is also being honest, which makes room for trust and to be easily read and to be easily understood. It keeps the relationship raw.
2. Identity. There's nothing worse than getting into a relationship when you haven't figured out who you are yet. Make it a mission to stay individual and embrace each other's individuality. Strong identities in a relationship make it apparent when the other is not around. Make it easy to miss each other.
3. Support. Be each other's biggest fan and support each other's dreams. Ignite each other's passions and beliefs and make it a passion of yours to watch the other become whole. Understand that you both began your own journey and rather than getting in the way of someone's path, offer the support to help finish it.
4. Encouragement. Encourage each other to become the best version of yourselves, rather than a version of a person that isn't true. To offer the encouragement to live life to the fullest and actually want to push each other to succeed towards individual goals and help each other overcome any crumb of doubt.
5. Challenge. Challenge each other, nothing turns loyal lovers to promiscuity more than the lack of a challenge. Challenge is at number five for a reason, if 1 to 4 are satisfied then challenging each other becomes second nature. It'll encourage you to always keep the relationship fresh, to consistently remind, to prove and to embrace the reason the two of you stuck together.
If you review the list you'll notice it's actually really simple.
Music: The Paper Kites - Bloom